Sunday, February 3, 2008

Oregon Wine and Seafood Festival - follow up report

I didn't make it to Portland this weekend to taste the goodies at the Oregon Wine and Seafood Festival but one of my "wine lovers" did and she sent me her report.

Thanks a ton Suzette for a great report.

"What a great way to taste wine and not have to drive all over thecountry.

Most of the wineries charged $1 for a taste. Some were $1.50 and $2.00. I'm a red wine drinker, so I don't have any reviews of the white wines (except the dessert wines)

By far our absolute favorite wine was the 2005 Baco Noir from Girardet Wine Cellars (http://www.girardetwine.com) in Southern Oregon. Maybe it was the extra treat of talking to Philippe Girardet about his "baby", but we ended up buying a case. As Phillipe stated this wine is incredibly drinkable with any food. Phillipe is a French speaking native of Switzerland and taught his son Marc the family tradition of winemaking. I also enjoyed their 2005 Gewurztraminer Frostbite dessertwine - liquid candy is the only way to describe it.

Other favorite dessert wines were from the Harris Bridge Vineyard - my favorites were 10 Roses and Shortline.

But the one that brought out my wallet was Hood River Vineyards Oregon Marionberry wine - pie in a bottle. I also spent some time at Honeywood Winery tasting their many fruit wines - my favorite was the Cranberry Raspberry, but raspberries are my favorite by far.

Another outstanding "taste" was the 2005 Civita Di Bagnoregio Red from Paschal Winery.

Also a 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon from Maryhill Winery was worth buying a bottle. And finally I have to mention the Dobbes Family Estate 2006 PinotNoir. What caught my attention was the labels - "Wines by Joe". My father-in-law passed away a month ago and he loved making his blackberry wine. His name was Joe as is my husband's, so the giveawaypins of "Wines by Joe" were special to us.

We also spent some time talking to Oregon Wine Cottage (oregonwinecottage.com) from McMinnville. You've got to include thesefolks in a tour as the place to stay when touring that area.

The food is worth mentioning, although I only went for the fresh crab. One crab cocktail and a delicious crab and cheese open faced grilledon sourdough - yum".

Great report, I should have made the time. It sounds like it was a "tasting" good time.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Our Southern Willamette Valley wines always show well at this festival. Wineries like Sweet Cheeks and LaVelle tend to walk away with a few golds, particularly for their white wines.